Sunday, November 12, 2006

Day Off On The Big Long Highway

Soooo…

I got in my bunk around 3:15 last night just as we were leaving the venue in Morgantown. Woke up this morning around 7:45 just before we crossed the border from Virginia into North Carolina. Still got a hell of a long way to go. The entire drive is around 960 miles...

I spent the morning up front talking to Steve, my driver. No one else woke up before noon. It was nice to have the bus to myself.

Around 1pm, a bunch of folks got up to watch football. We've got a couple of Nor'Easters on the bus, so we watched the Patriots game. We have the NFL Ticket added to our DirecTV system, so we get all the games.

I snagged the TV in the back lounge around 4pm to watch the NASCAR Nextel Cup race. Today is the next-to-last race of the season. Three people were back there watching A&E or some such shit. I put the kibosh on that crap real quick. Sunday's for racin'. Needless to say, it took 'em about 30 seconds to get the hell out, leaving me with the back lounge all to myself. Fine by me...

We finally pulled up to the hotel at 6:30 and I practically ran to my room to watch the last 20 laps. Harvick won again! (He won the Busch race yesterday.) That's 5 wins this year in Nextel Cup AND something like 9 in the Busch series, where he won this year's Busch championship.

I could never get motivated to go out tonight or even go downstairs to the bar – a 15-hour-plus bus ride will do that to you – so I broke the Bob Davis golden rule, which is "Never Order Room Service".

The food was good. Grilled salmon, mashed sweet potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms. But geez, thirty-six fucking dollars????? Do you realize how many Budweisers I could have bought with that much money?

I probably should've gone downstairs.

I just didn't feel like it…

No comments: