Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Day Off in Washington, DC

Wow, I slept in today. Didn't wake up until 8:45. Crawled out, got dressed, and sat up front with Steve The Driver. He sounds more important when I capitalize His Name like that.

The room isn't supposed to be ready until noon, so we meander the last 150 miles or so to DC. Stop to fuel up, then take the scenic route into town, then find enough room to park both crew buses right at Dupont Circle, directly across the street from Starbucks. How convenient.

We wind up sitting there for about an hour, sipping 'bucks, the smokers hanging around outside the bus doing their thing. The hotel called back to say everything was ready, so off we went.

After getting everyone's room keys, I grabbed my stuff and headed to my room. I just chill out for most of the afternoon.

Meet a bunch of folks in the lobby around 5pm and jump cabs to the Brickskeller. Nobody on this tour has ever been there, so I just gotta take 'em – it's my favorite watering hole in DC. I've been drinking there since 1977. They have more than 800 different domestic and imported beers in stock. I like beer. You probably know that…

(Gretchen, if you're reading this, please forgive me for not calling. I really was gonna stay in tonight, after that huge night in Rochester the other night. I DID NOT want another hangover like that one again. But after raving to the crew about how cool the Brick was, they twisted my arm and I couldn't say no. Anyway, I swear I'll plan to do something with you and Chris the next time I come to DC or Baltimore. Really.)

Knowing how easy it would be for me to close the place down, I give regrets and slip out the door at 9pm, leaving about a dozen people drinking and having a good time. I'll be glad I did that tomorrow…

No comments: