Thursday, March 29, 2007

Day Off in Los Angeles

My busdriverman Mike musta been hammer-damn-down coming down the mountain, because when I woke up at 6am, we were already sitting in front of the hotel.

Grab my stuff and go upstairs for a bit. I have an awesome room at the Sofitel in West Hollywood for the next 6 days, and the Beverly Center (shopping) is directly across the street. Within 3-4 blocks of this hotel are about 6 million different restaurants of every ethnicity you can think of.

Wally (the LD) and I meet in the lobby at 8 and head out to do laundry. About a block into the walk, we stop at (where else?), Starbucks, for a fix.

The coin laundry is another 4 blocks walk and is great for a few reasons. It's huge, it's clean, and there's only 2 other people there.

I'm back in my room by 9:30 with enough clean clothes to finish the tour. I'll actually be shipping some stuff home next week, because when we passed through Raleigh a couple of weeks ago, I grabbed a few extra things and now I have too much stuff to fit in my suitcase. (Note to self: buy a cardboard box.)

So now I have the whole day in front of me. What to do, what to do?

We're off today and tomorrow in LA. Show at the Staples Center on Saturday. Then more days off on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I've all the time in the world to do whatever I want, yet I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Sevendust is at the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. on Sunday night, so that's a possibility. Plus, I can walk there in about 12-15 minutes.

A bunch of folks have rented cars and one rented a Harley for our stay here in LA. I'm too cheap to do that, so I'll just do whatever I can walk to, or be driven to through the kindness of others. Woulda been nice to import a friend from back home to hang out with while I'm here (hint, hint…). If you're reading this, you know I'm just rubbing it in kidding, right?

Had lunch with Dennis, Blaine, and Dale at Chipotle across the street. Went to Kinko's to drop a FedEx off and to buy that cardboard box. Then back to my room, where I putzed around and eventually took a nap.

Called Dennis around 7 – he said come around the corner; they were just walking into the Grand Lux CafĂ© for dinner. The Grand Lux is one of those restaurants with a HUGE menu – I guess they figure if they offer every food on the planet, you won't have a reason not to eat there.

Dennis was with Bob Goldstein, owner of MSI (Maryland Sound, Inc.), our PA vendor. Worked out great for my cheap ass, because Bob graciously picked up the check. I've known Bob's son Todd for a few years. He was Hall & Oates tour manager forever but has now left and is with Seal.

Dinner for me was the BBQ Salmon, which was damn good. That and a few Buds just made my day. Blaine called and joined us about halfway through. He'd kinda overslept on his nap.

After dinner, Dennis and Blaine were going over to the House of Blues on Sunset, then to some other club to see something that didn't sound real appealing to me. Bob wasn't going with them either, so Bob & Bob (me) called it a night and walked the two blocks back to the hotel. I watched a little TV, and even stayed up for Letterman. Had to see Rosario Dawson, cuz Dawson is awesome! In bed around 1am…

No comments: