Sunday, October 29, 2006

Show Day in NYC

Wake up the usual way here in the Big Apple – morons leaning on their car horns. Even on the 10th floor, there's no way to sleep. Unless, of course, I was to wear earplugs like I do on the bus.

It's a few minutes past 8 and my head's a bit fuzzy for the first 30 minutes I'm awake. Finally get my butt in gear, take a shower, and check out around 11:30. The shuttles which are taking everyone back to the venue today don't start until 1pm, so I decide to just walk back downtown.

About a block from the hotel, I run into a huge flea market in the middle of Seventh Avenue. Seventh is closed from Central Park all the way down to 47th Street, which is about 15 blocks. I'm several blocks deep into it when I took this shot:





I don't buy anything, but it's fun to check it all out.

Get to the gig around 12:45, toss my stuff on the bus, and go grab some lunch, which I eat on the bus while watching a TV show on my computer. I download most of my faves from the iTunes Music Store online so I can keep up with them. Stuff like "Lost" and "N.C.I.S."

The rest of the day goes smoothly. Jimmy Archey threatens to come visit, but he's got his hands full with his kids, so he never makes it. My friend Jen Tressler's coming to the show tonight, but I never hear from her, and I don't know if she showed up or not.

I got to watch the last 40 laps of the Atlanta race in the promoter's office. Usually, I'd watch on the bus, but the buildings here in the city block the satellite signal. I get the settlement completed while the band is still onstage, then throw my work bag on the bus. Watch the second half of the Panthers vs. Dallas game in the promoter's office.

Get in my bunk around 1:45, just as the bus is pulling out…

No comments: