Monday, January 7, 2008

Day Off in Savannah

Damn, it seemed like that bus ride was gonna go on forever. By the time we got to the hotel at 4pm, I just wanted to get the hell away from everybody on the bus. It ain't no fun sometimes, taking an 800-mile drive with 9 other people jammed into a 45-foot submarine.

Dashed up to my room and got online to deal with some work stuff. I'm working on pieces of 3 different tours at this point. Still finishing off some Josh stuff from Australia, in full swing out here on the R. Kelly tour, and doing advance work for my upcoming tour of New Zealand, Australia and Japan with Rage Against The Machine. Of course, being a day off, I don't want to do too much, especially this late in the day.

Grabbed a shower and called Janet to see if she wanted to go to dinner. Yep, the lovely Janet Taylor, who I've worked with for years. We've done several tours together over the last 5 years, so I trust her to come in here and take over for me on the last few shows. Her tour with Mannheim Steamroller just ended, and she lives in St. Louis, so it was pretty easy for her to just come to the show there yesterday, and then jump on the bus last night.

We spent 20 minutes or so walking around down by the river checking out menus. Wound up grabbing a drink at some joint. For whatever reason, they only had 3 kinds of beer there – Michelob Light, Mich Ultra, and Miller Lite. Huh? No Bud?

We each had a Crown Royal and ginger ale instead.

No atmosphere, so off we went. Eventually found a good place to have dinner. I got the scallops and oysters, Janet had crab legs and boiled shrimp. Waaaaay too much food. We staggered out of there, stuffed.

Went back to the hotel bar, where a bunch of crew folks and some of the dancers were hanging out. A couple of idiot crew guys were completely wasted, to the point of being embarrassing. One of them kept pissing off the staff by lighting up, even though it was a no-smoking bar. He was about to get his ass whipped when he finally quit that shit. I hate when crew guys act like morons, because they represent all of us. Six months from now, no one that works here will say "That guy from New Jersey was a jerk", they'll say "All those R. Kelly people were a bunch of assholes." That's one of the reasons I rarely hang out with crew people on the road – they just don't know how to behave and I don't want to be associated with them.

Made it back to my room around 1 and did a little websurfing…

No comments: