Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Day Off in Augusta

Happy Doggone New Year, Everybody! Damn, I'm gonna turn 50 this year. Gonna get my AARP card and everything. Cool.

We had a pretty long haul to Augusta, arriving mid-afternoon. The cold snap has the entire Southeast just freezing. It's gonna be in the low-20's here tonight. Even as far south as Key West, Florida, it'll be in the 40's. Sure wish I was sitting at home and it was snowing like hell.

The only bar open in downtown Augusta was a rock 'n roll dive bar called Firehouse. I wound up over there by about 7:30. There were only 3 customers when we first walked in. I had run into Kurtis, our head rigger, while walking around looking for someplace to eat, so he tagged along with me. They didn't have food, but after a few good tips on rounds of beers, I asked Amber, our lovely bartender, if it would be OK to order a couple of pizzas. No sweat. Pies were ordered and shared, much beer was consumed.

I finally left around 11:30 to head back to the hotel. Musta been about 20 degrees by then. That was one cold walk home. Maybe I should have packed long pants for this tour.

Nah…

1 comment:

halfpear said...

y'know, Bob, I use my AARP discount when I buy diapers for my 4 month old!

PH