Friday, August 4, 2006

Day Off in Orlando

It was about a 4-hour drive to get here from Miami. We arrived at 4am. As soon as I walked into my room, the AC unit eerily kicks in. Not cool. I read the notice by the thermostat, which informs me that it's triggered by a motion sensor, so they save energy when you're not in your room. All well and good, unless that means that it does the same thing when I’m sleeping, which is when I want it freezing me out.

I head to the desk to make an in-person inquiry (always works better than the phone), and sure enough, that's the way it works. Bless her, the desk clerk even says, "Yeah, if you don't move around much when you're asleep, it won't come on." Well, if the damn thing's not working while I’m sleeping, you can bet I'm gonna move around plenty. That's called tossing and turning in the heat.

Ten minutes later there's a very sympathetic engineer in my room disconnecting the motion sensor. He says the new thermostats and sensor are cheap crap and malfunction a lot. Cheapskate Disney!

I crawl into bed just after 5:30am and get up at 8. Read a few papers (USA Today, the local, NY Times, Wall Street Journal) and pretty much hang out in my room.

Oh, yeah, we're at Walt Disney World's Swan and Dolphin Resort. I call it the Bird & Fish. I hate this place. Haven't stayed here since December 2000, and I always hoped I'd never have to return. But here I am.

Disney gouges you for everything here. Everything. Knowing this, I brought supplies – beer, bagels, Clif Bars. I'll be damned if I'm handing over all my money to the Rat.

FTR!

Even so, for dinner, I wind up in Palio, their Italian place. Two beers, an appetizer, one glass of wine, and an entrée set me back $70 with tip. I had the appetizer as my dinner, and got my entrée boxed to go – it'll be dinner tomorrow night in my room.

I can be such a cheap shit when I want to be.

No comments: