Monday, August 21, 2006

Day Off in Boston

Bummed around the neighborhood a bit today. Hit the grocery store for lunch – they had a salad bar. Went to Newbury Comics, which is the cool, long-established independent record store chain in the Boston area. Bought a CD by the new band Black Stone Cherry, then headed back to the hotel.

My buddy Steve is tour managing for Nick Lachey on his upcoming tour. I'll be consulting on it, meaning that I'll be setting up all of the settlement files for all the shows. Steve sent me all of the deal sheets via email, and we spend about 30 minutes on the phone going over some details. Hopefully, I can get started on this stuff while I'm out here on this lousy tour.

Zombie-walked around the mall (attached to the hotel) for an hour or two. While there, I found a Legal Seafood and decided to have dinner there. Ponied up to the bar, got a Bud, and a menu. While perusing it, I had a flashback to a bar/restaurant that Dennis and I walked past last night. Much as I love Legal Seafood, this one had just a few too many lawyer/stockbroker types in it, so off I went.

Glad I did. I have a new favorite bar here in Boston. It's called the Summer Shack. I grabbed a seat at the bar and settled in. I could immediately tell I was gonna like this place. At first I thought it was another one of those "oyster bars" that didn't have one, and they kinda didn't, but they did have a dedicated shucker who was pretty awesome to watch. Fast, too. Unfortunately, being fast means that some shell bits occasionally make it to the customer. I though I was gonna break a tooth at one point. Had a dozen of whatever the special was, then got some steamed shrimp, which were great, too.

As I was eating, a lovely young lady asked if the stool next to me was taken. The place was pretty full and I guess I looked safer to sit next to than the crazy frat boys at the other end of the bar who were next to the only other empty stool in the place. (Little did she know, hey-hey-hey…)

Her name was Helene, and let me tell you, she was NOT ugly. Nosiree, not by any stretch. She used to work here before she moved up into New Hampshire. She was in the process of moving back and would be working here again soon. She told me all about the history of the place. And a lot more…

Before I knew it, we'd been talking for about 3 hours. What's that quote by Albert Einstein? Oh, yeah:

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity."

True 'dat, Al.

Anyway, I had to scoot. Shame. That was the most fun I've had in weeks.

No comments: