Sunday, March 26, 2006

Show Day in Jacksonville

One more show to get through, then I'm home for a day off.

I wake up around 7am. Load-in isn't until 9, so I've got fuckall to do. It's cold outside the bus. I take a walk to see what's around. There's a Starbucks 300 feet from the bus, but they don't open until 8.

The venue today is in the Jacksonville Landing area, a cool outdoor dining and entertainment spot down on the St. John's River. Here's the view outside the venue.









And here's the statue outside.





The last show I did here at the landing was in '93 or '94 with Cry of Love. We were opening for the Smithereens. I made friends with their backline crew chief Kevin and later when they came to Raleigh (and had a day off), me and my buddy Jeff McIntyre went to their hotel (Holiday Inn on Capital Blvd.), jumped on their tour bus, and took them all out to a Mudcats game. After the game, we wound up down on Hillsborough St. at the Brewery and then the Comet Lounge. I don't remember much about the night other than the fact that we consumed everything that was put in front of me. Also, Pat DiNizio, the singer, hooked up with Susie Blackdress, a local skank. Ira, their drum tech (who later started and still plays in the band Nada Surf) had a whole bevy of babes by the end of the night.

Wow, that was a tangent…

Anyway, the show is earlier tonight than normal by 30 minutes, which is great because I wanna get home in the morning. We're supposed to be rolling by 12:30. 450 miles to Raleigh, so I should be at the hotel by 8:30 am. I'm gonna stay at the crew hotel, even though I live in Raleigh. It's just more convenient. Greg Howard's gonna pick me up early and run me to my apartment, so I can get my car and run errands…

No comments: