Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Travel Day to Dallas

Wake up when my alarm goes off at 8am. We're in a rest area – driver's gotta take a leak. Stop at a truckstop about 2 hours later, so some guys can drop the kids off at the pool. I'm wanting a little "redneck breakfast", so I go inside to buy a Dr. Pepper and some peanuts. Son of a biotch, this place is slam out of DP's. Get the peanuts anyway for later.

Buy the local newspaper and a USA today and read 'em both for a while. Can't get online as there's something wrong with our internet connection on the bus. Hang out with Kenny the driver for most of the day – I'm riding shotgun. Make a couple of phone calls and get the blog caught up. Well, all except for posting it.

It's 4pm and we've still got 350 miles to go. Hope to be in the hotel by 10 tonight. Ah, the glamour of the rock and roll lifestyle. Stuck all day on a 45 foot submarine.

Finally get the internet connection going, so I websurf the last 100 miles to the hotel. We arrive just before 10, drop bags, then off to Denny's with Andy Battye (our boffin) and Za (guitar tech). The hotel's restaurant had closed at 9, so it's really our only option within walking distance. Run into some other crew guys there, and then we're joined by a couple of bus drivers. I've been to this Denny's before – the service is really shitty. Oh, well…

Back to the hotel bar for exactly one beer. Because now the bar is closing. That's OK, though, we're all too ragged out from the submarine ride to get our game on. Everyone heads up to their rooms. I head out to my bus for one more beer. Crack it, sip it, throw it out. Not in the mood. Off to Readville and Sleepville…

Follow the Bobzilla's Photos link at the right to see photos from my travels.

No comments: