Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Show Day in Miami

Up at 7:30, head in to scope out a shower. Get that out of the way, set up my stuff, have breakfast and get to work. All four bus drivers come in and drop a mountain of receipts on me. I do receipts with them every other show day and today's the day. Extra heavy load today, because we're on the East Coast, which means lots and lots of toll receipts. Every tollbooth we hit generates 4 receipts (one for each bus) that I have to mount and process. I'm glad we've only got 4 buses on this leg of the tour – there'll be 6 when we go out on the next leg.

Anyway, Tank, who is Daron's bus driver, doesn't have his shit together when he comes to do receipts, so I give him a time-out.



He promises to be good, so I turn him loose after a few minutes.

Factoid: There are 2 cities in Florida with the some name. This one's in Broward County, about 30 miles from the center of Miami. The other on is 195 miles away, on the gulf side of the state, in Sarasota County.

Now you know.

Lauren's coming back to visit today with another friend. Also, my friend Alyssa's coming out tonight when she gets done with work. I haven't seen her for 2 years, so it'll be cool to get caught up on things with her.

Andy Battye comes in and tells me of his adventure in the shower just now. After he set up the band's Tuning Room (full of gear for them to jam with before the show), he jumped in the shower in the same room – a locker room here at the Office Depot Center, home of the NHL's Florida Panthers. He turned on the water, and as soon as the runoff hit the drain, a LOT of Florida's finest cockroaches came scurrying out. Yuck!

After I stop laughing at his story, I grab my camera and we head off to see if we can recreate the event. Well, except for the part where Andy's naked. We turn on a couple of the showers – remember, this is your basic locker room "prison-gang-rape" type setup. Guess they all moved on to other digs, because this little fellow here is the only one who came up to get his picture taken.



I grab a cup of coffee and head back to work. Want to get as much done as I can today before 8, so I can hang out with Alyssa.

John and Shavo (drummer and bass player) join me in catering for dinner around 7:30. Get caught up on their Palm Beach adventures. They're hubbing out of Palm Beach for several days – fly to the shows, then back to PB.

I watch the first 8-10 songs of our set tonight, then go settle. Hang with my friends afterwards, then it's out to the bus for our overnight ride to Atlanta…

Follow the Bobzilla's Photos link at the right to see photos from my travels.

No comments: