Thursday, September 27, 2007

Day Off in Melbourne, Australia

Met up with a few folks for breakfast this morning at The Commune. Good stuff.

Today is Laundry Day! Or as we say, Clean Underoos Day! I don't really need to do it yet, but I like to keep my bag full of clean clothes. Plus, this is our second day off in a row – no reason not to.

After laundry, Blaine and I met up with Dennis and Adam for lunch. We wound up at a very formal Chinese place that was expensive as hell. I really didn't want to fork out $30-32 for the entrée I wanted, so I settled for some Shrimp Fried Rice. It wasn't listed on the menu, but the waiter said they would be happy to make it for me. Not being on the menu also meant that there was no price listed. And I didn't ask. Imagine my surprise when the bill came and that the bowl of fried rice was TWENTY-ONE FUCKING DOLLARS. I mean, it was good, but not THAT good.

After lunch, Blaine and I broke off and did a little shopping. At Target, I bought a cool smiley-face nightlight. Can't use my US nightlight down here because of the difference in voltage, so I need one that runs on local current.

Nightlight, you ask? Yeah, smartass, a nightlight. I stay in different hotels all over the world and all the rooms have different floorplans, right? If I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee (Who, me? Like I drink beer or something?), I don't want to have to turn on a light or feel my way around a dark room. So I plug in a nightlight in the bathroom.

After shopping, it was getting close to Nap o'clock, so we headed back to the hotel. I spent most of my down time trying to catch up on some of my TV shows from back home.

Met up with Dennis, Blaine, and Will to go back to Spleen again for some pre-dinner cocktails. On beer number three, I had to bail out. Just wasn't feeling it, and I wanted to just go back to my room and chill. I took a different route back to the hotel, so I could see what else was in the neighborhood. It was a relaxing walk, with the temp around 60 degrees or so. Walked past an amazing looking church with 3 huge spires. Mental note to self to come back and get a photo…

No comments: