Saturday, May 12, 2007

Almost Time to Leave

Mom's surgery was postponed until Tuesday morning. I drove down to visit her in the hospital that day. When she came out of recovery around 5pm, she was in a lot of pain and was also generally uncomfortable. The doctor says she's not out of the woods yet, but at least we won't have to worry so much about that one aneurysm in her abdomen.

Tried to get a lot of crap done around the house this week. I'm running out of time. Leaving for Iceland on Sunday. We'll be touring Europe and the UK for about 4 weeks, then I'll fly home again on June 7th for a few weeks off before starting the next US leg of the tour.

Finally got around to installing my Slingbox yesterday. Or trying to. Turns out I had to go to the Apple store to get the latest Airport product, the Airport Extreme. Reason was, I needed the ethernet output jacks that unit has in order to hook the Slingbox up. Couldn't do it with my current router, the Airport Express. So anyway, the Slingbox is totally rocking. It's hooked up to my digital cable feed and my wireless network, which means that now, anywhere in the world I travel (as long as I have a high-speed connection), I can watch TV and control my system (even the remote control) exactly the same as if I was sitting on my couch watching it at home. Finally, I can see NASCAR in Europe (instead of rugby, ugh!), and I won't have to buy my favorite shows (24, Lost, etc.) from the iTunes website to keep up with them. All I do is set my DVR to record them, then watch them whenever I have time. Cool…

Went out last night with Foy to do a little barhopping, then to Hideaway for dinner and to catch Jen Gunderman's band from Nashville. I might have had a few too many beers, cuz I sure feel like shit today.

Foy and Terry and Carina were gonna come over tonight to watch the Darlington race, but it got rained out. It's rescheduled for Sunday at 1pm, which is exactly when my flight leaves RDU for Boston. The good news is that I have a 6½ hour layover at Boston Logan, so maybe I'll score some internet access and watch it via the Slingbox.

I spent the evening at home, finishing laundry, packing, and paying last minute bills and such. It was rainy and nasty outside, so I didn't feel like going out for dinner. Also, didn't want to dirty any dishes on my last night, so I had Papa John's drop off some chow.

In bed around 11:30 – long day tomorrow…

No comments: